Apr 14, 2014 - DAY PAROLE FOR DRIVER IN CRASH THAT KILLED GRANDE PRAIRIE TEENS [The Warriors]


Hearing for full parole to be set


The National Parole Board will continue day parole for the driver in a crash that killed four high school football players near Grande Prairie in 2011.

The board has ordered a hearing for full parole.

Brenden John Holubowich was sentenced in February 2013 to three years in prison, but was released into a halfway house in October.

Holubowich had been drinking and was speeding when his pickup truck hit a car carrying five players on the Warriors football team from Grande Prairie Composite High School on Oct. 22, 2011. Killed in the crash were 15-year-olds Walter Borden-Wilkins and Tanner Hildebrand, and Matthew Deller and Vince Stover, both 16. Another teen, Zach Judd, was critically injured. He survived but has a serious brain injury.

The April 1 parole decision says Holubowich is working full-time and is making a “significant effort to comply with the restrictions and expectations of release.”

The decision says Holubowich attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and takes private counselling with a psychologist. Holubowich has also “become motivated to volunteer with a program which educates young people about the dangers of drinking, driving and speeding,” the decision says.

The decision says Holubowich uses weekend passes to spend time with his fiancé and family. He has been assessed as a low risk to reoffend.

Holubowich’s day parole will continue for two months, and a hearing will be set for full parole. The decision notes there is an ongoing civil lawsuit by the victims’ families, and says that “consideration will continue to be given to the victims and their community.”

The crash happened on the Highway 668 outside Grande Prairie as the teens were leaving a party. Holubowich was driving home from a Grande Prairie bowling alley to his home in Wembley. Holubowich hit the boys’ car as it made a U-turn on the highway. He later pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm. During sentencing, court heard he was driving as fast as 151 km/h and had been drinking, though there was no evidence he was drunk.

The sentence was a joint submission by the Crown and defence.

Under the conditions of Holubowich’s release, he cannot consume alcohol. He also faces a three-year driving prohibition.

Source: Edmonton Journal


 

Last updated on: 2014-04-15 | Link to this post