RCMP are investigating the suspicious death of a 22-year-old man, Cory McOrmond. On August 25 at approximately 2 a.m. the RCMP found the injured man in the Prairie Haven parking lot, located adjacent to Spurs Cookhouse and Dance hall. McOrmond was transfered to a local hospital where he died. The RCMP believe McOrmond was at Spurs Cookhouse and Dancehall on the night that he sustained his injuries.

A 50-year-old Grande Prairie man is facing a slew of charges in connection to the discovery of a injured male at a north-end motel parking lot in August, who later died in hospital.

While police won’t release the specific circumstances of the incident, Const. Ellen Archibald, acting media relations officer for Grande Prairie RCMP, says police have charged Norman Timothy Vike with criminal negligence causing death, failure to remain at the scene of an accident, possession of property obtained by crime, operating a motor vehicle without subsisting operator’s licence, operating a motor vehicle without insurance as well as operating a motor vehicle without subsisting certificate of registration.

Grande Prairie RCMP started their investigation in the early morning of Aug. 25, when an officer conducting an unrelated traffic stop was alerted by two witnesses of an injured male laying in the parking lot of Prairie Haven Motel.

The male, Cory McOrmond, 22, of Grande Prairie, later died.

It wasn’t until an autopsy was conducted that the medical examiner notified police that McOrmond did not die of natural causes.

On Aug. 31, police asked the public for their help in finding a red truck that had been seen in the area around that time.

It was believed that the individual(s) in the red pick-up truck had important information that could assist the RCMP investigation.

McOrmond, a native of Trail, B.C., had moved to Grande Prairie in April to start a job with Trican Well Service and a new life with his girlfriend.

“Him and his girlfriend had just picked out an engagement ring,” said McOrmond’s mother, Barb. “Cory was doing so well with (work).”

McOrmond was at a nearby bar with a friend of his – the first friend to visit Grande Prairie from his hometown, said McOrmond.

“He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time,” she said.

McOrmond says while having an arrest made in connection with her son’s death brings some closure, it creates a flurry of other emotions as well.

“There’s the anger of how (someone) drove away from my son and left him to die,” she said. “There’s a lot of anger, but some closure – not a lot.”

McOrmond says she plans to be in court as the case makes its way through the justice system.

“I really pray that justice is done,” said

Vike will make his first appearance in Grande Prairie Provincial Court Nov. 7.

Source: Grande Prairie Daily Herald Tribune


Last updated on: 2014-08-23 | Link to this post