Cory McOrmond's family, (left to right) father Rocky, mother Barb, and sister Shanna, stand next to "Cory's Run" in early March 2014 at Red Mountain Resort, Rossland, B.C. The resort named the hill after Cory who formerly worked at the resort as a snowboarding instructor. "I mean, he's gone but he still makes us proud," Barb said of her son. 

Sentencing postponements difficult to deal with

Barbara McOrmond can recall every detail of the summer day in 2012 when police told her Cory, her 22-year-old son, had been hit by a vehicle in a Grande Prairie parking lot and left to die.

“I guess it would be when I have two RCMP officers at my door with someone from victim services and I remember standing in my living room and saying to the RCMP, ‘Are you sure it’s Cory? You know, did he get mugged? Did someone steal his wallet?’” said McOrmond.

“There’s the instant - it can’t be, it can’t be happening to us. You know, you see this on the news and it always happens to someone else.”

In April 2012, Cory moved north to Grande Prairie from Trail, B.C. where he lived with his parents, Rocky and Barbara and sister Shanna, 28.

He was a competitive snowboarder and instructor, who left the hills for a position with Trican Well Services where he earned his Class 1 driver’s licence. He loved every minute spent at his new job, said McOrmond.

“He had found a really good job where he could support himself. His girlfriend Tianna Page had moved up in May of 2012 and they were starting their lives,” she said.

Together for two years, the couple’s plans instantly halted with Cory’s sudden death.

“They had actually had – they picked out an engagement ring and had set it aside and they were just waiting for Cory’s next paycheque and they would have been engaged,” said McOrmond.

On the night of Aug. 25, 2012, Cory went out to have a few drinks at a Grande Prairie bar and never made it home.

That night at an RCMP traffic stop two people told police they saw an injured male in Prairie Haven Motel’s parking lot located in the north-end of the city.

Cory was taken to hospital and later that day died. The medical examiner ruled the death was of an unnatural cause.

It wasn’t until Oct. 25, 2012 that an anonymous tip to Crime Stoppers led to the arrest of a then 50-year-old Grande Prairie man.

Police charged Norman Vike with criminal negligence causing death, failure to stop at the scene of an accident, possession of property obtained by a crime, operating a motor vehicle without subsisting operators licence, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, and operating a motor vehicle without subsisting certificate of registration.

Vike eventually pleaded guilty to the Criminal Code charge of failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

All other charges were withdrawn.

“I know Cory was drinking. You know, I can’t say about Norman Vike, I have to keep my opinion of that quiet, but Cory was walking, not driving. He was walking home,” said McOrmond.

Cory is believed to have cut through the parking lot on his way home. RCMP told McOrmond Cory left the bar at 2 a.m. and was found injured about 20 minutes later.

McOrmond is still reeling over the thought of her son being left for dead.

“You know, he left our son in that parking lot. He made no attempt to call 911, he made no attempt to see – he could have phoned 911 anonymously but he chose not to,” said McOrmond.

Nearly three years to the date of his death, the McOrmond family is still waiting for Vike to be sentenced.

“Then we had to start dealing with the court dates and we had three court dates that were adjourned. And,Dec.19 of 2012 was when a trial date was set and that was Oct. 24, 2013,” she said.

About a week before the trial Vike changed his plea to guilty.

“And then he changes his plea, which in some ways was a relief that he changed his plea to guilty because he was acknowledging what he had done – hit-and-run and leaving the scene. He acknowledged, ‘Yes, I did that.’” she said.

The sentencing was scheduled for Jan. 22 but was postponed to March 17 as Vike was in custody on an unrelated charge in Kamloops, B.C.

In March, his sentencing was pushed over for another week and then again to May 20, 2014 because, as Vike’s legal representation explained to the court, he is attending an expensive and lengthy treatment program on Vancouver Island, B.C.

No further details have been provided about the program.

Coupled with the fear that Vike’s involvement in a treatment program will reduce his punishment, is the McOrmond family’s inability to get closure due to ever-adjourning sentencing dates.

“It’s like you take five steps forward and then it’s 10 steps back when you hear about the postponements,” she said.

In the meantime, the McOrmond’s are trying to achieve some normalcy.

“We’re getting ready to go to Maui with Shanna and it’s trying to be able to go and enjoy yourself and not feel the guilt about being happy,” said McOrmond.

“Because, it’s part of something that you go through is, you shouldn’t feel happy. It’s a struggle every day.”

Source: Grand Prairie Daily Herald Tribune


Last updated on: 2014-08-23 | Link to this post