May 29, 2014 - CLOSURE FOR MCORMOND FAMILY [Cory McOrmond]

Norman Vike sentenced to a year in jail, three-year driving prohibition in hit-and-run case

The family and friends of Cory McOrmond, who died at age 22 in an August 2012, hit-and-run attended the sentencing of Norman Vike, the man who hit Cory and fled the scene. (Left to right) Cory’s friend Beau Harrold, Cory’s father, mother, and sister - Rocky, Barb, and Shanna McOrmond, Cory’s Aunt Brenda, and friends Kailee Dickson and Simon Palmer. Brenda and Barb (sisters) each hold a photo of Cory.

Nearly two years following the death of their son in a hit-and-run accident, Barb and Rocky McOrmond, have received some closure.

On Thursday, Norman Vike, 51, was sentenced to 12 months jail time and three years driving prohibition for a charge of failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

“Two years and nine postponements before we got the opportunity for closure,” said Rocky.

The end result is bittersweet for the friends and family of Cory McOrmond, 22-years-old at the time of his death.

“Ultimately, it changes nothing. Our son is not here, that’s the grand, you know, thing. It’s a tragic event. It shouldn’t have happened,” he said.

On the night of Aug. 25, 2012, Cory - who only months before had moved to Grande Prairie from Trail B.C. for employment - was hit by a vehicle while walking home from a bar.

RCMP found McOrmand in Prairie Haven Motel parking lot in the north end of the city. He was taken immediately to Queen Elizabeth II hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The medical examiner confirmed he died of unnatural causes.

On Oct. 25, 2012, Crime Stoppers received an anonymous tip leading police to arrest Vike.

He was charged with criminal negligence causing death, failure to stop at the scene of an accident, possession of property obtained by a crime, operating a motor vehicle without subsisting operator’s licence, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, and operating a motor vehicle without subsisting certificate of registration.

Vike eventually pleaded guilty to the criminal charge of failing to stop at the scene of an accident and all other charges were withdrawn.

On Thursday, Vike put his head in his hands as Judge Jim Watson handed down a sentence heavier than the one sought by his defence counsel.

Defence lawyer, Chris Millsap had sought a 60 to 90-day jail term, a fine, and a one-year driving prohibition.

When the prosecution and defence had finished making their final statements, Judge Watson, in addressing Vike and the court, said he accepted the fact that Cory had been killed and that his death could not have been prevented if Vike had stopped his vehicle and remained on the scene, however, Vike was unaware of that at the time.

On Thursday, Vike was also sentenced on two separate charges including driving over 0.08, for which he received a one-day jail sentence and a one-year driving prohibition. He was also convicted of a Traffic Safety Act Violation and received a $500 fine.

“Mr. Vike remains extremely remorseful for his role in this unfortunate event, he is committed to making positive changes in his life to ensure that he never finds himself in a situation like this again,” said Millsap.

Source: Daily Herald Tribune


Last updated on: 2014-08-23 | Link to this post