Oct 03, 2014 - ALLEGED DRUNK DRIVER TO STAND TRIAL FOR TODDLER'S PATIO DEATH [Geo Mounsef]


An Edmonton man accused of drunk-driving onto a restaurant patio and killing a toddler was committed to stand trial on Friday.

Provincial Court Judge Susan Richardson ordered Richard Alan Suter, 64, to be tried on charges of impaired driving causing death, three counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm and refusing to provide a breath sample, following an earlier preliminary hearing.

Suter, who is slated to appear in court Nov. 14 to set a trial date, was charged in the May 19, 2013, death of two-year-old Geo Mounsef.

Outside court, the victim's mother, Sage Morin, told media she is continuing to try to "stay positive."

"We are very pleased with today's outcome and continue to put our faith in the justice system," Morin said.
She said she still suffers flashbacks of the deadly collision.

"It's in my thoughts every day," she said.

Prior to the judge reading out her decision, both Morin and the victim's father, George Mounsef, were asked to leave the courtroom as they are witnesses in the case and there is a witness exclusion order in place.

However, just before leaving, Mounsef stood directly behind Suter, waiting until the accused turned and looked at him and then gave him a lengthy stare.

Police have said they believe Suter had been having an argument with his spouse when he got into a blue Acura SUV parked in front of the patio at Ric's Grill just before 8 p.m.

But, instead of putting the SUV into reverse, he put it in drive and it climbed over the curb, drove through the railing and pinned the toddler against the wall, police said.

Preliminary hearings are held to determine whether there is enough evidence to warrant a trial.

A trial likely won't begin until the fall of 2015,


Source: Edmonton Sun


 

Last updated on: 2014-10-09 | Link to this post