No one in house injured, driver arrested and could face impaired and dangerous driving charges



Seven people were asleep upstairs early Monday when a speeding SUV slammed through the main level of their house, and ended up in the front attached garage, police say.

The SUV smashed through the back wall, tore through the kitchen and finally stopped under a pile of rubble inside the garage.

A fence post that catapulted through the air crashed through the second-floor window into a room where a girl was sleeping. The post landed just inches from her head, police said. 

No one inside the house was injured.

A 20-year-old Edmonton man was arrested at the scene. He suffered non-life threatening injuries.

"It sounded like a tractor-trailer going over a bridge, really loud, booming sound," said neighbour Emmanuel Altaye.

Driver stopped, then sped off

It all started when Edmonton police got a call about 2:30 a.m. from someone who reported a suspected impaired driver near Manning Drive and 153rd Avenue.

"The reporter had seen a vehicle driving the wrong way along southbound Manning, going the opposite way," said Rohitas Chandra, an acting sergeant with the major collisions unit. "The vehicle almost went into the ditch a couple of times."

Police tracked down the SUV a few blocks away, as it was turning off Manning Drive onto Miller Boulevard. Officers pulled the SUV over in a parking lot. As the police cruiser came up behind, the SUV backed up, then sped off along Miller Boulevard, headed north through a residential area at speeds of up to 130 km/h.

The police helicopter was also tracking the SUV. The Jeep Patriot reached a T-intersection at Miller Boulevard and 153rd Avenue, went through the stop sign, crossed the avenue and plowed through a six-foot wooden fence, smashed into the house, went through the kitchen and all the way into the front garage.

The family renting the home had just moved in.

Const. Rick Evans told CBC News the house was so heavily damaged it will have to be torn down.

A section of 153rd Avenue near 50th Street was closed part of Monday morning, but has since reopened to traffic.

Police said impaired and dangerous driving charges are pending against the driver.

Source: CBC News


Last updated on: 2015-05-28 | Link to this post