Jan 24, 2015 - FAMILY RESPONDS TO BEATING OF MAN ACCUSED OF KILLING TODDLER [Geo Mounsef]


The mother of a young boy killed two years by an alleged drunk driver has responded to the abduction and beating of the man accused in the death of her toddler.

“Justice For Geo will not come in the form of violence. Our family remains hopeful and entrusting of the legal system to bring Justice For Geo,” wrote Sage Morin, whose two-year-old son Geo Mounsef was killed while eating with his family on a restaurant patio in May 2013. She posted her comments to Facebook.

“It is utterly heartbreaking to have our Baby Geo’s memory associated with this horrible act of violence. We will continue to spread love and kindness in Geo’s Honour as we prepare for the upcoming trial.”

Richard Suter was abducted after someone knocked on his door late Thursday, his lawyer Dino Bottos said Friday. He was driven away in a vehicle, seriously assaulted, and abandoned on the south side of the city. He was found when he flagged down a passing vehicle.

“I can confirm that (Richard) Suter was abducted from his home late last night, assaulted and found by the police a short time after that and he’s at a hospital being treated,” Bottos said. He would not comment on Suter’s condition Friday.

Suter, 64, is scheduled to stand trial in October on impaired-driving related charges related to Geo Mounsef’s death.

Suter allegedly put his SUV into drive instead of reverse, crashing through the glass partition of the restaurant’s patio and pinning the boy.

Since her son’s death, Morin has been a vocal in her criticism of Canada’s drunk driving laws.

The toddler’s death sparked outrage. Suter’s early court appearances were marked by angry outbursts from friends, relatives and supporters of the Mounsef family, who appeared en masse, carrying photos of the child and wearing clothes bearing the slogan, “Justice for Geo.” Supporters have cried in court and cursed Suter from the gallery, one calling him a “murderer.” Protests have been held outside the courthouse.

A half-dozen sheriffs were stationed in court for Suter’s bail hearing. After the heated court proceeding, Bottos confirmed he was concerned about his client’s safety but would not elaborate on any cautions Suter had been given.

On Friday, Bottos would not comment on whether any protection had been recently granted to Suter.

Bottos has previously described his client as a “stand up gentleman” who is a father and grandfather. Bottos has said “there will be a strong challenge to the allegation my client was impaired. I suggest this was a mistake and the real issue at trial will be is this a mistake of a criminal nature or of a civil nature.”

This was the second time the Suter family has been targeted by assaults, Bottos said.

Source: Edmonton Journal


 

Last updated on: 2015-06-15 | Link to this post