Markita Kaulius talks with reporters Monday after attending a sentencing hearing for a woman who has pleaded guilty to three charges in the crash that killed her daughter Kassandra Kaulius.

Victor Kaulius listens to a question from a reporter outside the sentencing hearing Monday for a woman who has pleaded guilty to three charges in the crash that killed his daugher Kassandra Kaulius.


Natasha Warren’s choice to drink and drive last May left the family of a 22-year-old girl destroyed and trying to this day to cope with their loss.

“Kassandra’s hopes, her dreams, her future are gone forever. My hopes and dreams for her are gone forever, all because of the actions and choices made by Ms. Warren. Our family is devastated,” Markita Kaulius said through tears Monday at Warren’s sentencing hearing in B.C. Provincial Court in Surrey.

Warren, 34, pleaded guilty in July to dangerous driving causing death, operation of a vehicle while having a blood-alcohol content over 0.08 causing death, and failing to remain at the scene of an accident causing bodily harm.

On May 3, 2011, Warren and her boyfriend watched the Vancouver Canucks’ playoff game at their home in Delta.

During the game Warren drank a bottle and a half of wine. Around 9:30 p.m., after the Canucks won in overtime, Warren got into her white Ford work van and left her house.

At the same time, 22-year-old Kassandra Kaulius was playing a softball game in Cloverdale after coaching a team of younger girls. When her game ended around 10 p.m., Kassandra drove home west down 64th Avenue in Surrey.

Kassandra stopped at 152nd Street, waiting to turn left on a green light. She was three blocks from home.

As Kassandra sat in her car, Warren approached northbound on 152nd. Readings taken later from her vehicle show that she began accelerating about 500 metres from the intersection with 64th, reaching a top speed of 103 kilometres per hour.

It was at that speed that she ran the red light and slammed into the driver’s side door of Kassandra’s red BMW.

According to witnesses, after the vehicles came to a stop Warren got out of her van, looked inside Kassandra’s vehicle and appeared to go into shock. She then ran away, jumping a fence and disappearing into a nearby wooded area. A bystander found her a short time later, remarking to police that she looked “totally wrecked, out of her mind, drunk as a skunk.”

Warren gave two breath samples after the crash, blowing twice the legal limit.

Kassandra had no pulse when emergency crews arrived and died as a result of horrific injuries that included trauma to her head, chest and abdomen and a broken pelvis.

“Ms. Kaulius died very quickly due to the massive head trauma,” Crown prosecutor Crichton Pike said in his submissions.

Markita Kaulius said it’s difficult to live with the knowledge of the injuries Kassandra suffered.

“Ms. Warren, you didn’t offer my daughter any assistance on that night ... you never called for help for my daughter. You left my daughter to die in the street,” Markita said, sobbing.

In each victim-impact statement, Kassandra’s family emphasized that her death was not an accident.

“Her death should never have happened — it was totally preventable,” Kassandra’s father, Victor, said as he struggled through his statement. “I cannot put into words the pain and anguish I still feel.”

Kassandra’s brother, Nick, wrote: “This was no accident. Ms. Warren chose to drink and drive ... Ms. Warren made a choice and she made the wrong one.”

Miranda Tracy, Kassandra’s older sister, described Kassandra as her best friend.

“The choice Ms. Warren made to drink and drive caused the death of the most amazing person I have ever known,” Tracy said.

“I am a very understanding person and I can see past certain circumstances, however this is something I will never understand or forgive. This tragedy should never have happened.”

The Crown has asked for a 3 1/2-year sentence. The hearing continues Tuesday.


Source: The Province


Last updated on: 2012-12-17 | Link to this post