Mar 09, 2013 - LONG COURT PROCESS FRUSTRATES 17-YEAR-OLD CRASH VICTIM'S MOM (Brandon Thomas case)

The mother of a 17-year-old Cochrane resident is frustrated the man accused of killing her son while driving drunk won’t be in court again until next year.

“There’s not one single part of my life that is the same,” said Kim Thomas, whose son, Brandon, died in the crash on Dec. 6, 2012.

“I wake up every morning knowing that I’m not going to see him again and I cry myself to sleep every night waiting for him to come home.”

This week, a court set a preliminary hearing in January 2014 for Ryan Jordan Gibson, 22. Gibson faces six impaired-driving charges in relation to the fatal crash that killed the Cochrane teenager.

Police have said previously Thomas was hit head-on by a pickup truck that was travelling in the wrong lane on Highway 22 near Cochrane. Thomas died at the scene.

Michelle Davio, spokeswoman for Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, said the length of time between the incident and the preliminary hearing is typical.

“Ten months for setting a three-day (preliminary hearing) on a very serious file is not unusual in most circumstances,” Davio said.

“It’s all obviously subject to courtroom, defence and Crown availability. This isn’t out of the usual range, I am told.”

But that message is of little solace to the victim’s family.

Every Thursday, Thomas’s mother visits the site on the highway where her son was killed and lays flowers.

The drawn-out court process only punishes the families of victims and stalls the healing process, she said.

“I love my son,” said Thomas. “I miss him and the life that he should be living every single second of every day. I just want him home.”

Source: Calgary Herald


 

Last updated on: 2013-03-09 | Link to this post