Apr 04, 2013 - PARTICIPANTS GEARING UP FOR THIRD ANNUAL 24-HOUR SPIN FUNDRAISER

The third annual 24-hour spin will take place at Ecole Beaumont Composite High School (EBCHS) on Friday, Apr. 12 at 4 p.m. and end on Saturday, Apr. 13 at 4 p.m.
The event is in party to remember Beaumont residents Bradley Arsenault and Kole Novak and Leduc County resident Thaddeus Lake, who were all killed by an alleged drunk driver in November 2011.
“We’re really looking forward to the event and I’m sure there will be plenty of people there,” commented Sheri Arsenault, Bradley’s mom.
The goal of the event is to help raise awareness for Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) in Edmonton and the surrounding area and help raise funds for the local chapter, Students Against Drinking and Driving (SADD) in Beaumont.
Last year’s event raised more than $10,000. 75 per cent of the funds went to MADD while the remaining 25 per cent went to SADD programming.
The event honours all those who have been lost to drinking and driving – something the community knows all too well about with the loss of Bradley, Kole Novak and Thaddeus Lake. Bradkolethad.com is one of the many ways friends and family is keeping the spirits of the three boys alive and to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving.
So far there are seven teams registered for the event and spots open for three more teams, explained Sarah Fodchuk, Beaumont Community Youth Centre (BCYC) supervisor.
Apart from the non-stop cycling there will be plenty of other activities for team members to take part in like karaoke, yoga, a Mario Kart competition, a dunk tank, Jeopardy and more.
This will be the first year Families for Justice will have a team for the event. Families for Justice are a non-profit group of parents, siblings, friends and others of those who have been killed by an impaired or aggressive driver.
Their goal is to offer information, support and understanding to those in grief and loss.
They are working to convince the federal government to bring about stronger sentences, laws and convictions for those who have caused vehicular homicide.
A Families for Justice table will be set up at the event for anyone wishing to sign their petition.
This is the second year in a row the high school’s SADD will partner with MADD to host the event.
With a week until the event, there are still open spots for teams to enter and take part in the event. Contact Sarah at 780-929-5155 to sign up.
Registration forms area also available at the Beaumont Community Youth Centre and EBCHS.

Related story, click here

Source: The Beaumont News


 

Last updated on: 2013-04-04 | Link to this post