Apr 18, 2013 - THIRD ANNUAL 24-HOUR SPIN MADD AND SADD FUNRAISER A SUCCESS

Participants of all ages participated in the 24-hour SADD and MADD ride event to educate people on the dangers of drinking and driving and raise money for the two agencies. The event started on Apr. 12 and was held at the Beaumont Composite High School.

Riders once again surpassed the previous year’s fundraising total at the third annual ‘Uncover your Assets’ Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) ride.

According Sarah Fodchuck, one of the event organizers, riders were able to raise nearly $13,000 over the 24-hour period. Final totals weren’t available at the time of press. Students Against Drinking and Driving (SADD) partnered with MADD for the second year in a row to put on the event. 

“It was a pleasure to see all those spinners put in all the dedication they did for the event,” commented Sheri Arsenault, whose ties to the event run deep.She is also the mother of Bradley Arsenault – one of the three boys who were killed by an alleged drunk driver just outside of Beaumont in November 2011. Leduc County resident Thaddeus Lake and Beaumont resident Kole Novak also perished in the accident.

Arsenault was part of the Families for Justice team, which contributed $3,255 towards this year’s fundraising amount. This is also the first year a Families for Justice team has been put together for the event. Arsenault believes much of the drive and dollars raised for the event is to keep the three boys’ memories alive and continue fighting to change drinking and driving laws and penalties.

“Brad, Kole and Thad – they bring out the best in us,” she said.

The third annual 24-hour spin ‘Undercover Your Assets’ at ESBCHS started at 4 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 12 and ran until 4 p.m. on Saturday, Apr. 13.

A total of nine teams took part in riding stationary bikes for the 24 hour period to help raise funds and awareness against the dangers of drinking and driving.

Last year’s event raised more than $10,000. For two years in a row, 75 per cent of the funds went to MADD while the remaining 25 per cent went to SADD programming. The three year total from the event has now garnered more than $35,000 that will go towards MADD and SADD.

Families for Justice are a non-profit group of parents, siblings, friends and others of those who have been killed by an impaired or aggressive driver. Their goal is to offer information, support and understanding to those in grief and loss.
They are working to convince the federal government to bring about stronger sentences, laws and convictions for those who have caused vehicular homicide.

At the event, the group was also able to add more than 170 signatures to their petition to get stiffer penalties for deaths related to drinking and driving. Arsenault will meet with Alberta’s Justice Minister, Johnathan Denis and the president of the Chief of Police Rod Knecht on Apr. 24 to present these petitions and discuss what can be done with changing these laws.

The pending court case involving 28-year-old Johnathan Pratt, who is the man at the centre of the accident that killed Lake, Novak and Arsenault, will have his preliminary inquiry continue in early May.

Pratt is facing three counts of impaired operation causing death, three counts of over driving while over the legal blood alcohol limit of 0.08 mg causing death and three counts of manslaughter.

Source: The Beaumont News

RELATED STORIES:

 


 

Last updated on: 2013-04-24 | Link to this post