On October 2nd, Tyler Isbister went to the Edmonton Oilers home opener with his fiancé, Katerina Masson.

“Made sure I was going to go to that game with him, and we went to the game, and we enjoyed it so much, it was really fun,” says Masson.

The couple called for a cab to take them home after going for a drink following the game.

Tyler and Katerina were sitting in the back seat when the taxi was hit head-on by another vehicle in central Edmonton.

“We were talking about football in the back seat, and then all I saw lights and then that’s when I screamed and then the next thing I know I was just pulling myself up from the ground of the cab,” recalls Masson.

Isbister was rushed to hospital with serious injuries and later died.

Three other people were hurt in the crash including the taxi driver.

The taxi was hit by a BMW with stolen plates. Police believe the BMW crossed over the centre line on 107 Street near 120 Avenue before colliding with the taxi.

The driver of the BMW fled the scene with a passenger. He was tracked down and arrested.

21-year-old Chris Lindgren is facing a number of charges in the case. Lindgren of Grande Prairie is charged with criminal hit and run causing death and four counts of criminal hit and run causing bodily harm.

 “The people who hit and ran didn’t even bother to call 911. They just left them there. They’re cowards as far as we’re concerned. They had no regard for human life,” says Tyler’s mom Rebecca Isbister.

Toxicology results on Lindgren are expected in a few weeks, depending on those results, more charges could be laid.

Police are asking any witnesses of the crash to come forward.

“If the BMW, while it was driving on the road, caught someone’s attention in the manner it was being driven or any other thing then we’ll still appreciate to talk to you,” requests Constable Ro Chandra, Edmonton Police Service.

The incident has devastated the Isbister family. They are remembering Tyler as the sunshine of their family, and a young man who loved the Oilers and would help anyone.

“This has shattered, absolutely shattered our lives, and you just never think you’re going to be that family that’s now in this position,” says Tyler’s mom.

Tyler and Katerina had become engaged one month before his passing and were scheduled to move into a new home together in November.

“And now I have to do that by myself and it’s hard,” says Masson as she tries to fight back tears.

Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Edmonton police through the complaint line at (780) 423-4567.

Source: Global Edmonton


Last updated on: 2013-11-08 | Link to this post